Police are exploring alleged sightings of suspected gunman Dezi Freeman as the state’s top cop wouldn’t rule out charges being laid against Freeman’s wife and son, who were arrested Thursday night.
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush was joined by Premier Jacinta Allan and Minister for Police Anthony Carbines at Wangaratta Police Station on Friday afternoon to address media crammed into the station’s foyer.
Chief Commissioner Bush said Freeman’s wife and 15-year-old son were arrested and released following a property search in Porepunkah and “may or may not” be charged in due course.
He said police continued to examine all lines of enquiries and continued to assess information being given by the local Porepunkah community.
“The number one priority of Victoria Police is the hunt for this murderer and we're pouring over 450 police resources for that, and it's every other resource we have,” he said.
Latest Stories
“The locals are being fantastic; there are certain lines of enquiry that are coming in from the public fed up being assessed.
“They're all helpful, so we encourage members of the public to tell us everything they think they need to tell us.
“We are not leaving here until this person is in custody.”
Australian Federal Police, and police officers from NSW, SA and ACT were also joining the manhunt.
Freeman, who is well-versed in bushcraft, was last seen heavily armed fleeing into the forest at the rear of his Rayner Track property on the outskirts of Porepunkah after allegedly killing Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart on Tuesday.
A Detective Leading Senior Constable who was shot in the lower body continued to recover in hospital and was set to have a second surgery.
Chief Commissioner Bush confirmed that prior to a 10-member search warrant of Freeman’s property on Tuesday, additional resources from Melbourne were considered, but ultimately not requested.
Police continued to be discreet in sharing details of the mass search due to the possibility of Freeman having access to media and the force still offered a surrender plan.
“If that person is listening, it really is time to lay down your firearms and give yourself up, so that we can all bring this to a safe conclusion and this community can get back to what they love to do,” Chief Commissioner Bush said.
“If he is being aided in this escape, whoever is considering aiding him in this escape or avoiding apprehension, they are committing a criminal offence and this person does not deserve to be aided in any way.”
A VicEmergency alert issued by police remained active advising people in the wider North East community to be vigilant and to avoid travel to Porepunkah, taking detours through Mount Beauty and Running Creek.
Chief Commissioner Bush said there had been alleged sightings of Freeman made but wouldn’t confirm by who, or where.
Rain has tumbled since the search began on Tuesday and more rain and challenging conditions were forecast for the weekend as hundreds of police continued to search through the difficult terrain throughout an expansive search area.
“The weather certainly doesn't help, but our people are very used to working in inclement conditions; it doesn't help us and I'm sure it doesn't help the person we're looking for,” Chief Commissioner Bush said.
Premier Allan along with Minister Carbines laid a floral tribute at the station on behalf of the Victorian government to show their support to the local force in Wangaratta and the North East.
“You live in this beautiful regional city and in the wider district, and we pay our respects because they've lost friends, colleagues, loved ones on Tuesday,” she said.
“There is a lot grief across the community right now and there's men and women in blue who are going about their job continuing to keep the community safe and for that, I give my great thanks as Premier for Victoria.”
Premier Allan, Minister Carbines and Chief Commissioner Bush had met with families of the deceased police officers and it was yet to be determined whether a state funeral service would be held.
“The state will be providing every support to Victoria Police in the organisation of the funeral arrangements, recognising these will be very difficult days for the family and many members of Victoria Police will want to pay their final respects to their fallen colleagues,” she said.
The trio were also on site of the investigation in Porepunkah on Friday and briefly observed operations in action.
Premier Allan said she planned on meeting with Alpine Shire mayor Sarah Nicholas on Friday afternoon to reassure the state government’s support for the region.
“They have the support of me, my government and the wider community as well and that’s the messaging I’ll be conveying with the mayor,” she said.
Chief Commissioner Bush said police have been in discussion with local businesses, including the pub who reopened at 4pm, and ensured the community a police presence would be active on the premises.
“We're really conscious that people need to go about their lives,” he said.
“If you need to go about your business, go about your business, stay safe, be vigilant, and we are there to support you.”
Investigators request anyone who sights Freeman or has information about his whereabouts contact Triple Zero (000) immediately and not to approach him.
Anyone with other information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au